a couple budget tips...
I love stretching a dollar! I will likely add to this post too as I get time. I just posted this a reply on a pastors wives group page so I thought I would blog about it too.1. Use cash. When we get a paycheck we write a check to ourselves and then we get cash to put in our envelope wallet (crown.org or financial peace sells them) and that is what we use to spend on groceries, date, babysitting, gifts, clothes, family fun, etc. That way you can save up for things like your kids brithdays, it limits your grocery spending, and allows you date money before the money runs out (no excuses!). Another cash envelope we each have is for personal money. We each get $30 every 2 weeks for whatever we want. Coffees, lunch out, book, whatever. That way the other of us can't complain about what the other is buying.
2. Have a direct deposit account to a seperate checking account that allows us to save for larger one time or yearly purchases like Christmas gifts, estimated taxes, landscaping, furniture, new car fund, vacation fund, and savings,etc. That way you are always working towards saving for things that you know you will need or for things you'd like.


2 Comments:
Hi Kathy!
This is Jared (I interned with Dave a couple summers ago). Thanks for these helpful hints! Now that Kate and I are married, tips like these have become very helpful. I hope you all are doing well and if you have more wisdom to share with a couple newlyweds we'd greatly appreciate it!
Also, I was speaking to a woman who is in her mid 30's who is looking at coming to IWU with her son who is in kindergarten I believe. She is looking for Christian connections and I thought of you. I suggested CollegeWes to her because I've heard they have a good parent ministry. Do you have any contacts I could pass along to her? She is wanting to move here at the end of June.
Thanks!
Jared, You can give my name and number to her or hers to me if that helps. I could call her and invite her to some things. I think Sunday School classes are a great way to connect with others in the church and she might like the one I am in.
Post a Comment
<< Home